Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Balancing Innovation, Pragmatism, and Patience

Lately, I’ve been playing a lot of Terraria, the action-adventure sandbox game from Re-Logic games. With over 200 hours played at this point, it’s obviously held my attention for quite a while. I was discussing the game with my wife tonight, and I initially said that the game was perfect. Or at least perfect for the game it was trying to be. But, to her credit, my wife pushed me to keep thinking about what I would change. And I did eventually find some (small) issues with the game.

My number one issue is inventory management. Terraria’s dev team does an amazing job delivering free, content-rich updates, and those updates have added some helpful features for managing all your stone blocks, countless potions, and leftover furniture. The system of storing items in various chests is still unwieldy, however, and I find myself irked when I spend an entire play session reorganizing my chests simply because I needed to expand my home.

The much, much harder question is: what would I change? I’m not sure there’s a great answer here. You could get rid of all chests and just have a global inventory, but that would take some of the survival and resource management mechanics out of the game. One big “home chest” that you can’t move but holds everything? That would lead to a massive mess of an inventory and creates a huge problem if you do have to move the chest for some reason. All of the “fixes” I came up with in my own quick brainstorm had serious drawbacks as well.


Not every conundrum in game design has a clean answer. For example, in Alkanaur we’re always looking at ways to speed up combat for the player, but no matter what there’s going to be some pauses in the game. When we chose to make a turn-based strategy game, we simultaneously chose not to have the responsiveness of a real-time action game. Of course, such thinking can stifle creativity. If designers always left things the way they were, we’d miss out on a lot of great innovations. I think the key is accepting that every design has a drawback, while at the same time pushing ourselves, constantly asking: what could we change? 

No comments:

Post a Comment