Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Dev Take Tuesday - Death of the Designer

I’d say it’s practically impossible to get through an English degree without learning about Roland Barthes and his essay “The Death of the Author.” I became quite familiar with that essay during my studies, and referenced it in more than one paper. In the essay, Barthes argues that an author’s background and biases should be set aside in favor of an analysis on the text by itself. Since meaning doesn’t exist until the reader interprets the words placed there by the writer, the concept of authorial intent is inherently flawed, according to Barthes.

Image found here

My growing pains while running a Dungeons & Dragons campaign have taught me that players will end up interpreting events much differently than I, the author, intended. I created a small town with an eerie Children of the Corn vibe that I thought would provide some cheap laughs and then send the party running after a while. Instead, my players wanted to learn more about the creepy cultists and I found myself scrambling to flesh out the town and its customs. I can probably attribute some of those misinterpretations to mistakes on my end: not providing enough details in my descriptions, not preparing enough material beforehand, or not considering likely alternative viewpoints. However, I believe that any D&D campaign will have moments like these where the players surprise the DM. That’s simply the nature of language.


Looking at game design in general, I'm sure we understand all too well the “death of the designer.” We know that players will always find startlingly different ways to interpret and play our games. But that needn’t be a source of despair. I’d say that the scenario from my D&D campaign above ended up being the most powerful and most interesting moment in our adventures so far. And although the inherent interactivity of games might scoff at any thought of authorial intent, perhaps it’s comforting to know that other mediums of expression have been grappling with these concerns as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment