Thursday, February 15, 2018

Indie Illuminator - Starmancer


As an English major, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard references to Herman Melville’s Moby Dick. But I never read it. I often feel that impostor syndrome creeping in when I think about all the classics I have yet to read (and might never read). And I feel that way toward some video games too, including the somewhat bizarre but beloved management/simulation game called Dwarf Fortress. For the uninitiated, Dwarf Fortress is a game in which the player controls a bunch of dwarves in a procedurally-generated world. There are no concrete objectives and most of the game’s beauty lies in how the various mechanical systems combine and create unique, emergent gameplay. However, the game is difficult, and without mods the text-based art of the game scares a lot of modern gamers away. Including me. Which brings us to Starmancer.

An image of a starmancer (from the game's press kit)

Starmancer, inspired by Dwarf Fortress as well as other games in the genre like Rimworld, aims to provide the same emergent gameplay but with a more accessible interface. In the game, you assume the role of a starmancer, a fusion of human and machine. You control a space-faring ark of lab-grown human bodies, each imbued with a consciousness from Earth. You will need to manage colonist morale, avoid mutiny, protect your space station, and expand your influence with the other competing factions of the universe.

Starmancer provides plenty of customization (image from the game's press kit)

I’ve been following Starmancer’s development for a while now, and every little animated art update shared on Twitter makes me smile. The pixel art graphics are full of charm, and it looks like the game will include a significant amount of customization for the player, which multiplies that charm astronomically. Being able to not only build and design the structure of a space station but paint its walls and decorate its corridors?  That’s the kind of customization I like.

Overall I’m looking forward to playing Starmancer to get at least a tiny little taste of the classic Dwarf Fortress. If you feel similarly, or if you just want to find out more about the game, check out their current Kickstarter campaign! From what I understand, backers can gain access to a demo right away.

No comments:

Post a Comment