Thursday, November 2, 2017

Indie Illuminator - Summoners Fate

Usually, I have at least a couple projects I’d like to illuminate on any given Thursday. But today was unusual—I struggled to find any games or streamers to cover. So I hopped on Kickstarter’s games section and started to scroll. I was immediately intrigued by a video game called Summoners Fate that combines tactical combat and CCG (collectible card game) mechanics. To my surprise, I noticed the game’s developers also live in Salt Lake. Guess I picked the right Kickstarter to cover!

Gif found on the Summoners Fate Kickstarter page

Summoners Fate’s unique top-down perspective makes the game feel even more like the physical board and card games it emulates. Like our game Alkanaur, Summoners Fate incorporates both a strategic layer and a tactical layer in its gameplay. In the strategic layer players choose dungeons and manage resources, whereas the tactical layer focuses on snappy turn-based combat. One nice touch I appreciated as a game designer was the simple choice to make the game characters look up when it is their turn to move and attack. Additionally, the gameplay seems to be designed to allow for quick bursts of gameplay (useful for mobile) or in longer sessions.


The game’s developers, D20 Studios, plan to release Summoners Fate in 2018 on iOS, Android, PC and Mac. If you’re interested in the game, they are currently running a small Kickstarter project that is nearly 100% funded as I write this post. You can also catch a Q&A stream with the husband and wife development team tomorrow (November 3rd) on Kickstarter if you want to know more about the game or the developers.

No comments:

Post a Comment